We’re at the point in the summer where, unless you’re near a body of water with a cocktail in your hand, it’s hard to bear the heat. With record-high temperatures around the country, we know we still have a long way to go until the fall arrives and cools everything down, so we might as well do what we can to enjoy it. And what better way to do that than with some delicious summer cocktails?!
So whether you’re lounging pool-side with some friends, hosting a mid-summer party or simply relaxing with your beau, these unique summer cocktails are sure to help you beat the heat.
Note: Each recipe is only one serving (unless otherwise noted), so feel free to multiply as necessary.
1. Golden Beach Sangria
So I’m starting with my favorite drink of summer 2011 — Golden Beach Sangria. A big thank you to Alizé for sharing this one with me; I think you guys got me hooked ; )
- Mix together 1 oz. Alizé Gold Passion and 1 oz. white wine (I used riesling).
- Slice fresh peaches and let soak in a mixture of Alizé and wine. Chill.
- Just before serving, add 1 oz. lemon lime soda.
- Serve in a wine glass and garnish with a peach or an orange.
2. Shake Down Highball
This cocktail was sent into me by Appleton Estate Reserve. A few of my friends and I tested it out last week, and talk about delicious! If you like fruity drinks, this one is for you.
- Muddle fresh berries (we used strawberries).
- Mix with 1/2 oz. lemon juice.
- Add 3/4 oz. ginger agave nectar (we actually used simple syrup instead and it worked).
- Add 2 oz. Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaican rum.
- Put in a highball glass over ice and top with soda water.
3. Raspberry Mojito Royale
I love a good mojito in the summer time; I love it even more when it’s raspberry flavored, so thanks to distiller Serralles USA for sending this delicious recipe my way!
- Muddle four raspberries first, then a bunch of fresh mint.
- Add 1 oz. DonQ Cristal rum.
- Mix in 1 oz. lime juice.
- Add 1 oz. simple syrup (which is simply half sugar, half water – dissolved).
- Shake vigorously before straining into a collins glass filled with ice.
- Top it with a splash of champagne or sparkling wine.
4. Hibiscus Champagne Chiller
Tea is a must-have summer item — especially here in the South where sweet tea reigns supreme ;) – so a good twisted tea is a welcome addition to any summer cocktail list. This one was sent in to me by Davidson’s Tea, using their very tasty Te de Hibiscus and makes 2-3 glasses.
- Brew Davidson’s Te de Hibiscus blend for at least 5 minutes, either from a qt-size iced tea brew bag or 4 tbsp. of Davidson’s bulk tea blend, using about 1/2 less water.
- Sweeten to taste with organic sugar, honey or maple syrup, while the tea is still warm.
- Refrigerate until chilled, at least an hour.
- Pour into champagne flutes, each one half full.
- Fill to the top with chilled champagne.
5. Sex on the Lido at Sunset
Alright, this one got me right from the name. Sent into me by Dream Foods International, this is also a guilt-free drink, as the juice counts as an entire serving of fruit! — Unless of course you get caught on the lido ;)
- Start with 3/8 cup cranberry juice.
- Mix with 3/8 cup Italian Volcano Juice (from Dream Foods)
- Add 2 tablespoons vodka.
- Add 2 tablespoons peach schnapps.
- Pour all ingredients into a chilled glass over ice, stir well.
6. Honey Do This
Melon is definitely one of my favorite summertime fruits, so I took great pleasure in making this delicious drink sent in by Canadian Club Whisky.
- In a mixing glass, muddle three 1″ chunks of honeydew melon, three ½” pieces Cucumber, 4-6 mint leaves and 1/2 oz. simple syrup.
- Add 1 1/2 oz. Canadian Club Whisky.
- Add 1/2 oz. DeKuyper Triple Sec.
- Shake with ice and pour all into a double old fashion glass.
- Add cucumber slice for garnish.
7. Skinny Ginger Peach Margarita
Margaritas are a staple of summer, but I’m sure you already all know how to make the more traditional ‘rita. That’s why I’m sharing something a little more unique — the skinny ginger peach margarita shared with me by Ciao Bella Gelato.
- Put the following in a blender and pulse until smooth:
- 1 pint Ciao Bella Peach Ginger Sorbet
- 1 pint Ciao Bella Lemon Zest Sorbet
- 1 cup lime juice
- 2 cups tequila (I used Tequila Partida, as they were kind enough to send some samples my way)
- ½ cup Cointreau
- Ice cubes
- Pour into a sugar-dipped margarita glass.
8. Blackberry Lime Caipiroska
Blackberry is definitely one of my favorite summertime flavors, so I really enjoyed this fruity delight sent in to me by Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice Company.
- Combine ¾ ounces vodka with 2 ounces Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice Blackberry Limeade.
- Mix in 2 tsp. brown sugar.
- Add a splash of soda water.
- Pour over crushed ice.
- Garnish with 2 blackberries and a lime wedge on a wooden spear.
9. Guatemalan Rickshaw
This last recipe, sent into me by Botran Rums is perfect for a warm weather celebration. From wedding receptions, to engagement parties, rehearsal dinners and more, this delicious cocktail is not only fruity, but also very classy.
- Add the following ingredients to a mixing glass:
- 2 oz. Botran Rum
- 2 watermelon chunks
- 1 barspoon of honey
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- ½ oz. sherry
- Shake vigorously to break up the watermelon.
- Strain over fresh ice in a tall glass.
- Top off with a splash of prosecco and a dash of grenadine.
- Garnish with a watermelon chunk and lime wedge on a spear.
Now you’re ready to take the heat head-on. Let me know which cocktail is your favorite!
[Disclosure: None of the above companies provided monetary compensation to be included in this post. However, all mentioned provided free samples for consideration in this post. Those chosen were selected based upon my personal opinion of cocktail quality.]