_The following home DIY project is a guest blog post provided by Martin and
Katie from the [Our Everyday Earth Green
Blog](http://www.oureverydayearth.com/ “Our Everyday Earth Green Blog” ).
__Our Everyday Earth is a green blog with a difference. Martin and Katie are a
regular family living in Texas writing about going green, recycling,
composting, green education and other family friendly green tips. Be sure to
check them out! _ _ __When Martin reached out to me, I immediately fell in
love with the project. I’ve always wanted an upholstered headboard, but I
really never thought I could do it on my own. So Martin, thanks for proving me
wrong. _ _Enjoy…_ _*** _ The project started as a weekend idea inspired by
several online tutorials of how to create an upholstered headboard, and it
grew into a bigger project with a reclaimed wooden bed frame and some
reorganizing of the surrounding furniture! The original metal framed bed is
shown below, with some closeup shots of the cracked framework. The metal frame
was uncomfortable to sit up against, and we had tried multiple times to fix
the cracked metal but it kept on breaking in the same location.
Katie and I set out in
separate directions; she went to the fabric store and I went to the home
improvement store! I bought a large piece of 1/2 inch thick plywood for about
$20, I bought the type which is only finished smooth on one side — this cut
the cost down slightly. Katie bought some wonderful fabric, some quilt batting
material and two pieces of 2 inch thick upholstery foam.
I cut out the headboard shape
with a jigsaw (wish I had video’d that part), and below you can see my mad
scientist template with dimensions… !(http://www.oureverydayearth.com/wp-
content/uploads/2011/03/scan0001.jpg) As you can see, our king size bed was
considerably wider than the template (77 inches wide versus 52 inches wide).
content/uploads/2011/03/Plywood_Headboard.jpg) We laid the plywood headboard
shape onto the 2 inch foam and marked around it with a permanent marker and
then used a bread knife to cut the foam to shape.
We used Loctite spray adhesive to glue the foam to the plywood headboard. You
should be able to find an equivalent at the local hardware store. Word of
caution, only use these spray adhesives in a well ventilated area, and always
wear a breathing mask. !(http://www.oureverydayearth.com/wp-
content/uploads/2011/03/TheHeadboardWithBatting.jpg) Fixing the quilt batting
to the foam and plywood headboard was easy, we just stretched the quilt
batting over the back of the headboard and stapled it with a staple gun every
couple of inches. The quilt batting was easy to stretch and the final product
was very smooth. !(http://www.oureverydayearth.com/wp-
content/uploads/2011/03/TheBattingApplied.jpg) We cut the excess batting off
with scissors, and it was ready for the actual final upholstery fabric to be
applied. This final stage was trickier. The fabric we used was fairly heavy
weight and it took a lot of stretching and stapling to get it looking smooth
over the headboard. We were very pleased with the finished headboard though
and couldn’t wait to get the new bed assembled!
content/uploads/2011/03/TheFabricApplied.jpg) As mentioned previously, the new
bed frame was made using reclaimed barn wood which we had stored in the loft
above our garage. We cleaned it up with some soap and water, let it dry and
then assembled a basic frame. I used some large 5/16 inch diameter 2 inch
length bolts with washers and captive type nuts to secure the new wooden frame
to the old metal base. You can see the assembled bed frame below.
content/uploads/2011/03/ReclaimedWoodFrame.jpg) I used flat head bolts on the
foot of the bed for a better visual finish.
content/uploads/2011/03/ReclaimedWoodBedFrame.jpg) Now that the frame was
assembled and tightened up, we were finally ready to start putting the bed
back together; we added the box springs first.
content/uploads/2011/03/TestFitofHeadboard.jpg) After performing a quick test
fit of the headboard to make sure the frame and headboard looked correct, I
moved on to the final positioning of the headboard. I quickly realized that
the massive headboard was not going to be easy to hold with one hand and then
screw into place with the other! My solution was to use an artists easel to
prop up the headboard, it worked great and the adjustable easel allowed me to
position the headboard at the exact desired height.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ThePositionedHeadboard.jpg) Once we were happy
with the vertical and horizontal positioning of the headboard, I fixed it in
place with wood screws to the reclaimed wood frame. Finally the bed was
starting to pull together! !(http://www.oureverydayearth.com/wp-
## Our DIY Master Bed Project Summary:
We spent just under $300 on materials, the upholstery fabric and foam were the
most expensive coming in at just over $200! The rest of the materials were
either very cheap, or completely free (reclaimed wood). Materials and tools:
* 1/2 inch thick plywood from Lowes
* A jigsaw for cutting the headboard shape
* 2 inch thick upholstery foam
* Loctite spray adhesive
* Standard quilt batting
* Fabric of your choice (be bold!)
* Bread Knife (for cutting foam)
* Staple Gun (and lots of staples!)
* 8 x 5/16 inch dia, 2 inch length bolts for mounting the wooden frame to the base
* 8 washers and 8 nuts
* Lots of patience!
So there you have it, a frugal DIY master bed makeover with an upholstered
headboard and reclaimed wood bed frame! We hope you enjoyed this project and
would love to hear your feedback.