Last week, I shared the Badtz Maru/Hello Kitty dessert table I designed for my future sister-in-law’s baby shower, and one of the favorite items on that table just happened to be meringue cookies.
I had never heard of meringue cookies before my wonderful husband suggested we include them on the table, but I was pleasantly surprised when I first tasted one. Not only do they have a great melt-in-your-mouth quality about them, but they’re a great addition to any dessert table because you can dye/flavor them however you need. They’re an inexpensive way to add some real pop to any table!
On to the recipe…
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons flavoring of choice (i.e. vanilla extract, banana extract, etc.)
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Put egg whites in bowl and beat until they become stiff (like whipped cream).
- Fold in sugar, a few tablespoons at a time.
- M ix in your choice of flavoring “to taste” — we used about 2 tablespoons.
- Add food coloring to create your desired color.
- Once you have everything mixed up, put your meringue mixture into a pastry bag and squeeze meringue cookies onto parchment paper-covered cookie sheets.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 2-2.5 hours.
…and enjoy your delicious meringue cookies!