Usually, when you think of something new, a lot of ladies choose to make their dress their something new, or their shoes, ring, or even a hair piece. But what about something unique, something you made yourself? Now that’s something new! So, to get your thoughts churning and your ideas spinning, here are a few great ideas for you to consider! DIY Hairpiece: Yeah, I know I mentioned how a lot of ladies use their hairpieces as something new, but what about making your own? I personally love the idea! So here’s a great DIY headpiece for you to try!
Pearls and Lace and Everything Nice: Like I’ve mentioned (about 100 times…) I love everything vintage. So what about a vintage styled pearl and lace (or floral!) headpiece? Ok, I’m hooked! Here are the directions:
What You Need: A lot of these supplies you can find at Hobby Lobby or Michaels (only the two greatest stores ever….)
- Thin Silver Wire
- Needle and Thread
- Fabric Stiffener
- Metal Hair Comb
What You Do: Now that we have all our supplies, this is how you make it:
Trim your lace applique(s) to your desired size. To me, the bigger the better. Make it your centerpiece (besides your dress of course)!
- Thread each of your pearls (maybe throw in some silver beads for a little extra pop!) onto the silver wire and twist for a branch-like affect. Make it long enough so it will be a little longer than the applique.
- Twist the excess wire around the comb to secure it.
- Hand stitch the wired beads onto the applique.
- Then, super glue the knotted threads on the back to give it a more secure application.
- Spray on the fabric stiffener to keep it nice and stiff and in place.
- Once the stiffener is applied, trim any excess fabric to make it look clean and neat.
- Once it’s all trimmed and dry, hand stitch the finished applique to the comb and you’re all done!
Lace Shoe Appliques: If you couldn’t tell, I love lace. So why not deck your shoes out with gorgeous lace appliques? It’s a great something new, and if you have blue shoes, this will soften them up a bit! Here’s the how to:
What You Need:
- Shoes (any shoe will do!)
What You Do:
Make sure you apply the appliques on a surface that you’re comfortable getting ruined (like a cardboard box).
- Find a place that you really want the applique – for example, on the toe, the back, the side, anywhere.
- Spray the BACK of the applique. Not a lot, but a little honestly goes a really long way.
- Wait for the adhesive to get a smidge sticky, and then GENTLY and CAREFULLY place the applique where you want it. No smudging, or else your shoes will look tacky and “homemade.” As great as homemade is, you don’t want it to _look_ it.
- Let them dry for a while, and voila! Homemade gorgeous shoes just for you! These are just two of some of the greatest ideas you could try. They’re unique, easy to do, and absolutely gorgeous! If you do decide to try one of these super incredibly DIY something new’s, leave a comment and let me know how it went!